This artifact is the final project for EDUC 466. It covers my personal background in mathematics and in education, a rationale for focusing on writing and teaching a lesson, and an account of my classroom observations, followed by a reflection on writing the lesson, my experience in teaching the lesson, and how I could use the experience in the future. It also includes ideas for building my own unit plan on solving systems of linear equations, and more problems I developed. 

The project met the following course objectives:

• Develop the pedagogical content knowledge central to teaching mathematics for student understanding: Through the readings, group discussions, and the experience teaching in the classroom I developed an understanding of pedagogical content knowledge – what to teach and how to teach it.
  • Understand the importance of motivation and affect in mathematics teaching and learning and in students’ understanding of mathematics: The lesson and the extra set of problems were designed to motivate students with real-world scenarios and applications of mathematical concepts.