From the syllabus:
In this course, MA students learn about the gatekeeping function that mathematical proficiency plays in students’ academic choices and goals and develop strategies for ensuring their students become successful math learners. MA students will also identify and design opportunities for promoting and assessing diverse students’ quantitative literacy across grade levels and subject areas by connecting to students’ strengths and interests (e.g., sports, fashion design, construction, shopping).
In this course MA students will have the opportunity to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of contemporary notions of mathematical competence and how they relate to students’ learning opportunities and potential for success in school.
- Examine how the 21st Century Skills expected in the Common Core State Standards contribute to students’ career and college readiness.
- Learn how to leverage students’ mathematical competence and to capitalize on the mathematical dimensions of their personal interests.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of participating fully in this course, MA students will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of mathematical competence that encompasses the myriad mathematical tasks students encounter and enjoy in everyday life.
- Identify mathematical dimensions of their students’ personal interests.
- Identify the ways in which their course content can be used to help students master the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and become more college and career ready.
- Help their students realize that mathematical competence includes attitudes towards mathematics, reasoning skills, and communicating thinking.