Week 1

1/6/14
Today I learned re-learned about the rhetorical situation, in terms of the handy triangle diagram, as well as the phrase "meta-cognition."

1/8/14

Today I learned about how liminality applies within the context of academic learning environments and what threshold concepts are.

1/10/14

I learned quite a bit about fallacies from our reading in The Well-Crafted Argument. I knew about fallacies before and understood most of them as I was reading, but I didn't know their names until now. I remember when we read about subject-noun agreement in Style, and how that concept gave us a clear way to identify exactly why one sentence was smoother than another. Similarly, I think it can often be clear that there are holes in someone's argument but that it can be hard to identify why. Knowing these fallacies gives a concrete way of identifying what we know to be true in a specific way.

Synthesis 1

Reflecting back on my learning notes from the week brought to mind my third essay from CTW1. I know that my argument was flawed in many areas. The process for me was rushed, and I had felt like I was just grasping for an argument to work with. At the time, I couldn’t put a finger on exactly what the problem was, but I knew my argument didn’t feel genuine. Looking back on it after our reading from The Well-Crafted Argument, I realize the problem was that there were significant fallacies in my writing. In a way, I think my previous understanding of my essay’s weaknesses could be considered liminal because my understanding was still a bit hazy. However, now that I am able to clearly identify and name the problems I knew existed, my understanding is much more concrete.

In addition, the entire structure of that particular assignment was a bit new. In that sense, it presented a threshold concept of sorts. In trying to grapple with this new concept in a small period of time, I felt very uncomfortable. With this in mind, I think that process of writing the essay itself could also be considered a liminal period. I had been introduced to the concept of the assignment and had begun to work on it, but did not yet feel like I had a firm grasp of what I was doing. To connect back to the refreshers from last Monday, I think the process of me writing this very synthesis involves meta-cognition. I think this actively specifically guides us to connect and integrate information from multiple sources, times, and experiences to reach new insights and conclusions. It’s all very exciting!