Yolanda's Market (Experiential Learning and Social Justice)
THE BEGINNING OF A PARTNERSHIP
During the winter of 2013, I began my partnership with the Neighborhood Prosperity Initiative through the Leavey School of Business at Santa Clara. This unique organization serves the community in the following ways:
- NPI will work in reciprocal partnerships with one or more non-profit, educational and/or governmental organizations, with the goal of developing long-term, sustained relationships. NPI will respect and appreciate the role that community members play as co-educators of our students.
- Students will receive appropriate training and preparation in how to work in low income communities with sensitivity and cultural awareness, background and theory related to issues they are working with, competence in skills they will be sharing with the community, and opportunities for structured reflection on all aspects of their experience. Wherever possible, we will involve knowledgeable community members in the training of students.
- Specific projects will be determined jointly by community partners and LSB to ensure that they meet needs as identified by the community.
- NPI will follow through on what we promise, to promote trust and credibility. We will model and emphasize to students the importance of keeping commitments, tacit as well as explicit, made to community partners.
I partnered with Yolanda, personally assisting her with her business by creating a functioning Point of Sale system, educating her on her existing technology (POS system and label maker), helped make strategic business plans for her business, created a bilingual manual for the operation of her POS system in English and Spanish and helped her apply for small business rehabilitation grants in her local community.
THE REALITY OF YOLANDA AND HER SITUATION
- SUFFERS FROM ECONOMIC INEQUALITY
- STRUGGLES TO SURVIVE BECAUSE OF LANGUAGE BARRIER
- INCREASED DEPENDENCE FROM OTHERS ON HER SUCCESS
- POVERTY CYCLE
WHAT DID I BRING TO THIS PROJECT?
- WORK ETHIC
- SPANISH SPEAKING ABILITY
- BUSINESS KNOWHOW
- TECHNICAL BACKGROUND